Friday, October 5, 2012

A day in the life of a teacher...


A day in the life of an Al Ain teacher...

6:00 am the alarm goes off and I get up and ready. This includes throwing on an abaya or kandura over my growing belly, making my lunch for the day, and updating myself by reading everyone's facebook status. Shawn and I then head down to the parking garage below our flat and head towards another teacher's flat. On the way we listen to the 7:00 news on the classical radio station.

One kandura... I don't wear my slippers to work though! 

Up until last week we would pick up two other teachers, Samina and Larisa, and then Shawn would drive us to work. Last week, Samina rented a car and so Shawn just brought me over to the flat and Samina drove.

Larisa and Samina

Samina and I in our abayas

The drive to work is about 30-40 minutes. My school is actually in Remah, not Al Ain. We usually get there by 7:45. When we arrive, we have to punch a number into a keypad and have our finger scanned to clock-in. Series business! Then, depending on my schedule, I go get my room ready.

My schedule is different everyday and I teach both grade 2 and grade 3. The day runs on a seven period schedule. Here are the periods:
1: 8:15-9:00
2: 9:00-9:45
3: 9:45-10:30
Break 10:30-10:50. This is when the entire school is on break. All the girls (KG-Grade 12) run around the courtyard and eat, and teachers go to the lounge or sit in their classrooms. No one supervises.
4: 10:50-11:30
5: 11:30-12:10
6: 12:10-12:50
Break: 12:50-1:00 (Just like the other break)
7: 1:00-1:40


Girls getting food at the cantina

82 cents snack

School girls on break

Teachers then can leave at 2:00, except on days for PD (professional development), where we leave at 3.

Here is my weekly schedule: (3=Grade 3, 2=Grade 2, F=Free)



Sunday
Mon
Tues
Wed
Thurs
Period 1
3
2
3
2
3
2
3
F
3
2
3
3
3
F
3
F
3
4
F
F
F
F
2
5
2
3
2
3
F
6
2
3
F
3
F
7
F
3
2
3
F

So... whichever class I am teaching first, I head to that room to get ready. This includes pulling my locking suitcase out of the corner and pulling my box down from the top shelf. I get out the supplies we need for the day, and put my behavior system on the board. It is then time to head out for morning assembly.

Every morning all the girls and teachers assemble in the courtyard outside for morning assembly. The girls line up 2 by 2 according to class in a horseshoe shape. First, we listen to a reading of the Quran. Then, three students march to the flagpole, wearing the UAE flag banner on their shoulders, and we listen to/sing the national anthem. While the students march, there are three students in the back that play the drums and accordion. After the anthem, a song plays that all the students dance to. There are also some points where the students bang the drums and students have to either raise their arms up, put them in front, or stand at attention. The principal may say a few words (everything is in Arabic) and then music plays as we walk our students in line to their classrooms.

The courtyard

"Hall"

With Grade 3 I teach literacy, math, and science in English. This usually involves: a morning welcome, review of rules, and handing out/checking homework and behavior charts. Then a mini-lesson. For the last two weeks they have been on short and long vowel sounds. Even though the girls are grade 3, their English reading skills are about a kindergarten/grade 1 level. This past week I worked on introducing literacy centers. These include working with dolch sight vocabulary words, writing skills, and listening/speaking.

The grade 3 girls' behavior is not terrible, but definitely need works. These kids are used to being raised by nannies and doing whatever they want at home. Learning to move around the classroom and doing their work without playing will take time, but they will get it.

In math we usually work with manipulatives. This week it was adding, subtracting, and even/odd numbers. We haven't started science yet, that will be next week.

Behavior system and rules

Grade 3 students at work

Grade 3 classroom

My board

When I finish with a class and have free periods, I pack up my suitcase and roll it down to the teachers lounge to work. I sit at a desk and eat, grade papers, and plan lessons. It is funny because the Arabic teachers do no work. They teach about 2 periods a day, and then sit in the teacher's lounge drinking coffee and gossiping (in Arabic of course). They don't have much of a work ethic, so when they see me working they are always interested in what I am doing and why.

Where I work

Teacher's lounge

My work space with suitcase

When it is time, I roll down to grade 2. I share grade 2, so I only teach them math (in English). We will also share science, but haven't started that yet. The grade 2 girls are much more wild then grade 3. Even though there are only 12 of them, they are a hand full! Their Arabic teacher is new and has no structure or discipline. Sometimes I think she doesn't even watch them, as the class is left in a nasty mess after school when she has them. They love to get up and run out the door, try to sneak and eat in class, play, shout, and more. We are slowly working on how to sit and raise our hands. They do well with a sticker system, and of course bribing them with candy and chocolate.

Grade 2 girls at work

Classroom after Arabic


Left in a mess

Classroom after I leave

When I finish grade 2, I once again pack up and either head back to the lounge or get ready to go home. Remember how I said we can leave at 2... well it is more like you do leave at 2. Five or ten minutes after 2, if we are still here, we are told we are “staying too late.” There goes that work ethic! We clock out with a finger scan and head home!

View across the street from school on ride home

I am usually home by 3 and have plenty of time to go to the pool, gym, or just relax. It is very nice!

So there are definitely pros and cons to working here.

The school is in the middle of nowhere. The kids have no structure or discipline and can usually do whatever they want. Even when I am teaching, other kids will come in my room for no reason. The Arabic teachers do not offer support. Most of them won't give us a key to the room. The resources are slim to none and the one copier just started working. We have no wireless and it is hard to access a computer, because I can't use the room on my break. Not having my own room is hard as well, especially planning and organizing supplies.

Yet, I work a lot less and don't have to go crazy with planning and lessons. I still work hard, but nothing over the top. I have a lot more free time at home. The perks are great with healthcare and housing and I get a good maternity leave. So, overall... not bad. You just have to remember all the pros when the kids are shouting “miss, miss” at you and acting like little monkeys! I am looking forward to vacation in about three weeks!

And that's my day!  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Ryanne! I really enjoyed reading this even though you wrote it 3 years ago! I wonder if you're still working in Dubai?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in coming to teach. I'm about to graduate in May with a Bachelors in American Studies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how can I come to teach there ??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a post graduation in Science. I would love to teach any subject.

    ReplyDelete