Thursday, November 15, 2012

Crete day three and saying goodbye!

Who is up early reading again? Of course it was me, but not for long as Shawn wakes up, we eat breakfast, and are ready to face a beautiful sunny day! We pack our car with some snacks and camera, and we are off on a three hour drive across the island to find a famous gorge. First, we stopped at the small beach town nearby to buy souvenirs for our family members. Shawn once again spoiled me, and bought me a beautiful Greek dress made in Athens to wear to my baby shower. We also bought a cute little teddy for the baby!

Bear for baby

Our three hour drive soon became a four or more as we saw so many beautiful sites along the way. We pulled over many times for amazing views, including a beach to make sure we touched the Mediterranean. Our trip took us along the coast for the first half, with views of sandy beaches as well as cliffs diving into the water. About halfway through, it took a turn and began our climb up the mountains. Along the way, we found a little restaurant tucked in the mountainside. It was so quaint. We were the only ones there, except for the owner and one other employee. We had homemade pizza with more tzatziki, fresh squeezed orange juice (there was an orange grove right there in the back), and enjoyed a quiet lunch with amazing view. We even got stuck behind an orange truck for awhile, which smelled amazing.

Ready for adventure


Shawn touching the water


Orange truck

Stopping to eat

View

The climb up the mountain was fun. Shawn was so happy to be driving a stick and the roads winded back and forth. Some parts were very narrow, and there wasn't even a guardrail. I am glad I love and trust my husband! We also met many goats and sheep along the way. I can't even begin to explain the views, and the pictures don't go it justice. It felt like we ended up in a completely different place, as we could no longer see the water or beaches. In the end, we were about 4,000 feet up the mountain, and found the national park.




View! 

By the time we got to the park, it was already four o'clock. We found out the total hike down was around 9-10 miles, so we knew we could not do the whole thing. Not only was it late afternoon, but don't forget I'm seven months pregnant. We decided to just hike for awhile, and see what we could do. Even though we didn't make it to the bottom, it was still amazing. We were so high that we were above the clouds. Sometimes along the path, we would walk under fences to protect us from falling rocks. That was a little scary. As we were walking along, I suddenly heard a noise that sounded like a car driving on gravel. I realized though that there were no roads anywhere near us, and that we were hearing a huge rock slide across the other mountain. That was a pretty cool experience. All in all, we hiked about three miles. Not bad for my big belly self. It was a great experience, but I was tired!

Hiking


Above the clouds

The trip down the mountain was just as fun, as Shawn and I blasted music and talked about life. Once again, I am grateful everyday I am married to my best friend.

By the time we got back towards the hotel, it was getting late. We decided to go to a little restaurant on the hill near the hotel, and were once again treated so kindly. We were the only ones there and the owner waited on us. We enjoyed dinner and music, and headed back to the hotel to pack and hit the hay!

The next morning we finished packing and sadly said goodbye to the hotel as we headed to the airport. We had booked a taxi the night before, and turned in our little rental car. Our journey home began. We had a pleasant flight from Crete to Athens, then Athens was interesting. As we are boarding the flight to leave Athens, we realize there are a group of workers being flown in to the Middle East. I see them all holding their paperwork, and I believe they were from Bangladesh. When the attendant calls boarding for rows 30-35 (we were like 32), they all rush forward. Before you know it, I'm being pushed all over the place and almost knocked over. There goes hospitality and civilization. We get to the gate check, and when they scan my ticket we are told we missed a step somewhere. Not sure how, because we already went through passport control, but we are told to step around to the desk. This is impossible as we are almost being crushed. We finally got it worked out, but I was already missing Greece and I hadn't even left. Then, when we boarded the plane, there was a man that didn't speak English in our window seat. We gave up trying to explain and Shawn ended up in the middle. Oh the joys...

Besides that we made it back in one piece. We had a layover in Doha, Qatar and then landed in Abu Dhabi. We caught a taxi to our car, and then realized we had made a big mistake when we got there. I had purchased some food in the airport at Doha with dirhams (the currency of the UAE), and didn't realize they gave me their currency in return. When the taxi driver drops us off, we have Euros, Doha currency, and 500 dirhams; which he can't break. He was so mad at us. We asked him to bring us to a gas station, and we would pay extra fare, but he said he didn't know whee one was nearby. We tried asking other taxi drivers for change, but they didn't have it. We finally ended up paying him in Euros, which was a better deal for him. He was very rude and upset though. We got in the car and Shawn drove the hour and half back home while I drifted in and out of sleep. I was so happy I didn't have to work the next day!

Overall, it was an amazing experience. Even though this country can drive me crazy and I get homesick, I am so grateful because I get to have experiences like this. I highly recommend Greece to all, and know I will be going back in the next two years!  

Beautiful Crete!!! 

 
Sheeeeep

Driving the mountain! 

No comments:

Post a Comment