Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas in the Desert

We have had an amazing opportunity to celebrate Christmas this year in a completely different environment. Even though we are away from family and the weather is... well quite nice in my mind, we have found ways to make this time special. 

The first event was something called Carols in the Desert (December 7). A couple that are good friends of ours invited me along. Unfortunately, Shawn was unable to go because it was the last week of school for him and he had projects and exams to do. We had an adventure driving out to find it, but we were very happy that we did. Out in the middle of the sand dunes, hundreds of people gathered to celebrate. Everyone brought their own food and spread out blankets/chairs. There was hot cocoa, carols, and lights. It was really something to walk through the sand and hear pockets of voices all singing the same songs and celebrating the holiday together. My friend Shon even went for a walk and met some local Emiratis sitting on the dunes watching. Although many people camped out in the dunes, we headed home and I slept in my own bed!
Shon, Jenia, and I

During the last week of school I decided to host a Christmas party for my co-workers. (December 10) I thought it would be nice to get together outside of work. We had a great time! The girls all came over and we had desserts to munch on. I made these cute melted snowman cookies I found on Pinterest. We spent the night chatting, and then played the gift exchange game I know as White Elephant. The game is played where you can steal gifts others have opened. Shawn ended up with a floating fountain that looks like a mug.... which he stole from me. Because he stole my gift at the end of the game, I opened the last gift and it was... a shisha (you may call it a hookah). Everyone was laughing and wished they had picked that gift, and Shawn was excited because he knew he would get to have it. He tried it out the next day! 
 Snowman cookies

Shawn and his shisha

A few days later we hosted another similar get together with our close friends that live in the same complex as we do. (December 13) Again, we had an array of yummy sweets including snowman cookies, and we played the White Elephant game. It was another fun time with lots of laughter as Shawn ended up with a small purse. It was very practical as it had a package of tissues in it (there is usually no toilet paper in the bathrooms) and it became mine. I ended up with a nice Abu Dhabi coffee mug. It was another pleasant evening with our extended family here before they all headed of on their winter adventures. 
The crew

 Shawn and his new purse :)

Christmas Eve was a great desert experience. Our church hosted a get together in the dunes, next to one of the largest dunes I have seen yet. We all brought food potluck style and set up tables and blankets. When everyone arrived, groups of people began to climb the dune. With 3 weeks to go before my due date I thought... why not. At least I got my exercise for the day. It was a challenge, but worth it when we got to the top. We enjoyed an amazing sunset from on top of the desert before heading down to eat and visit with friends. A group of children from the church acted out the story of Jesus' birth as it was read after a bonfire had been lit. It was cute, and a couple of Emirati locals came down to sit and watch. This was followed by Christmas carols, but we didn't stay long because I had Christmas cookies to bake! We headed home and made a ton of Christmas cookies, some of which to be left out for Santa. We also have been cat sitting, so we headed next door for some kitty cuddles before heading to bed! 
Locals dune bashing


View from up top



View from the bottom




Making cookies

Ready for Santa

Kitty we are watching
 
 Christmas morning Santa came and Shawn and I exchanged gifts. He got an Armani wallet and I got a new bag. We also got some other things such as games to play together and candy in our stockings. We kept it a low key Christmas this year because we were more focused on our coming bundle of joy! After Christmas together we finished getting food ready and headed over to some friends for another Christmas celebration. I made a veggie wreath dish I found on Pinterest that turned out very yummy, and of course more snowmen cookies. We ate and made new friends, and then there was another round of White Elephant. There were some funny gifts; such as onion goggles, a scooter, and the teddy bear Shawn brought. Shawn and I both stole our gifts, and I ended up with some Body Shop lotion and he got some nice classic books. After the game, we were introduced to Christmas crackers. You pull them like a wishbone, and they create a loud “crack”. Inside are fun little things like jokes and a hat. It was fun to learn about another tradition from a different part of the world. Overall it was a great Christmas day! 
Santa came!


Christmas with friends



My wreath


Christmas crackers! 

We had a great time of Christmas celebrations over here in a different part of the world, and are so excited that every Christmas after this will be spent with our greatest gift... our baby boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment